Flood affected praise quick government responseThursday March 28, 2013 - 13:24 EDT
A Hastings oyster farmer has praised all three tiers of government for the speed of their response to floods that ravaged the coast earlier this year.
This week Category C funding assistance was announced for a further seven local government areas, including Port Macquarie-Hastings.
Primary producers can now apply for grants of up to $15,000 for recovery and repair costs.
Hastings oyster farmer Mark Bulley says the industry is grateful.
"They've done very well to turn it around in the time that they have.
"Sometimes these things as we've experienced in the past have taken a lot longer but I reckon they've done an excellent job in making the decision happen as quick as what it has," he said.
Primary producers and small businesses can use the funds to replace infrastructure.
Mr Bulley has estimated that the local oyster industry suffered as much as $1.5 million worth of damage.
He says all levels of government should be congratulated for this week's announcement.
"It's just a matter of industry trying to get it all happening now that they know the green light's there and get it in and if it takes three or four weeks well that's just how the process is and they've got to have the appropriate staff their to be able to deal with the influx.
"We're just grateful that there is the opportunity there to access it," said Mr Bulley.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
South Australia and its 1.677 million residents were left without power on Wednesday evening following severe storms.
Federal Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg says serious questions will be raised about how the entirety of South Australia could be left without electricity in the wake of a huge storm, dubbed the largest in 50 years.
Power is gradually being turned back on across parts of South Australia but much of the state remains in darkness after a widespread blackout.