Federal minister urges Newman to callBy Emma Pollard, Tuesday February 5, 2013 - 10:47 EDT
The Federal Government has urged Queensland Premier Campbell Newman to phone them so an agreement can be struck to fast-track disaster funding.
Queensland mayors are worried changes to Commonwealth rules mean councils will have to fund repairs to social infrastructure like parks and sporting fields.
The Federal Minister for Queensland Flood Recovery, Senator Joe Ludwig, says it is likely the repairs will be funded, once a National Partnership Agreement is in place.
"What I do need is Premier Newman to pick up the phone, don't deal with it by letters at midnight," he said.
"Pick up the phone, talk to us tell us we want a national partnership agreement, strike it and then we can start the work, we can utilise the Queensland Reconstruction Authority to then streamline and fast-track the process."
But Queensland Treasurer Tim Nicholls says he wrote to his federal counterpart, Wayne Swan, last week.
"I actually handed a copy of that letter to Senator Ludwig at a meeting at the State Emergency Services Centre at Kedron," he said.
"I think it was on the Wednesday or the Thursday and ran through the issues in a table that we had attached to that letter to Treasurer Swan."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Large areas of southern Australia can expect a foggy start to the next few mornings, reducing visibility for the first few hours, even in the southeastern capitals.
The strongest southeasterly wind surge since last Dry Season has swept out any lingering sticky humidity from the summer over a large swathe of the central and eastern tropics.
As the mercury plummets across South Australia ahead of winter, coastal properties are preparing for the inevitable storm surges.