Federal Agriculture minister responds to drought assistance criticismVirginia Tapp, Tuesday August 19, 2014 - 15:40 EST
The Federal Minister for Agriculture has defended the effectiveness of his department's drought assistance program.
Barnaby Joyce says 2,853 families Australia wide are now receiving household payments.
He explains there are ongoing efforts to make assistance more accessible to landholders suffering the effects of drought.
"Do I say that we're doing a great job and there's nothing better we can do? No I don't," he said.
"Am I always trying to do the job better, yes I am.
"People say well we want to make it more streamlined so I do discuss with the Department of Human Services how we can streamline it, how we can make it more convenient."
© ABC 2014
More breaking news
Canberra has chilled below freezing every morning this month, and a few days have been quite cold as well.
Over the last week, much of the southeast has been treated to cold, cloud-free nights with light winds.
There have been a few hiccups along the way but the school garden at St Francis' Primary School in Hughenden continues to grow despite the on-going drought.