Experts fast-track Charleville flood mitigationBy Chrissy Arthur, Wednesday January 23, 2013 - 10:32 EDT
The finishing touches are being made to a $14 million flood mitigation scheme to help protect Charleville in south-west Queensland.
Bulk earthworks on the Bradley's Gully diversion are due to be finished by the end of the month but engineers say they have completed a low-flow diversion that would protect properties if flooding were to occur now.
Homes were inundated during a record flood of Bradley's Gully in Charleville almost three years ago.
Project manager David Murray says the diversion scheme has been fast-tracked.
"We will never flood-proof Charleville but we will have the works completed which will mean if they got a flood of the same order as March 2010, effectively there would be no flooding in Charleville," he said.
"If a flood were to occur now, Charleville would be significantly well off and a lot of the houses that previously flooded would be high and dry.
"At the end of January we are anticipating that the bulk earthworks will be completed, which means the full diversion capacity would be effectively available.
"Charleville is the first cab off the rank, there are a number of other schemes in St George, Roma and Emerald that are being looked at now."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
A teenager has been struck by lightning during dangerous thunderstorms in Queensland's south-east that caused structural damage and left thousands without power.
Following a run of cooler than average temperatures during the first half of next week, southwestern parts of Western Australia will see a return of hot conditions.
A burst of hazy heat enveloped Sydney on Friday, with temperatures just not letting up well into the evening.