Emergency crews work to clean up debris after severe winds across VictoriaBy Melissa Brown, staff, Saturday August 17, 2013 - 07:52 EST
Emergency crews are working to clean up debris left behind by another severe wind storm that has swept through Victoria, uprooting trees and damaging buildings.
The State Emergency Service (SES) says there have been more than 700 calls for help since the winds picked up yesterday.
Winds reached 141 kilometres per hour in the Alpine region in the state's north-east and 105kph in the Grampians in the south-west.
There is also widespread damage across Melbourne. One beacon on Port Phillip Bay recorded winds of 105kph.
It is the second severe wind storm in Victoria in a week.
The weather bureau's Peter Blake says it is not unusual for this time of the year.
"With the high pressure system well north, we're getting a lot of fronts coming up from the south-west and you get very strong gradients and hence the strong winds develop from there," he said.
"We're going to see strong winds again on Sunday morning but probably not quite the same strength that we had on the Friday."
The State Control Centre's Mark Cattell says Emerald, Moorabbin and Narre Warren were the hardest hit areas near Melbourne.
Mr Cattell says there were 121 requests for assistance in the state's mid-west.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Visitors can again make it through to the Australian Age of Dinosaurs Museum in outback Queensland after floodwaters forced the iconic attraction to shut up shop for two weeks.
So far this snow season could be described as a yo-yo, it's up and down yet always fun.
From severe weather in the south to drought in the north, there are plenty of farming families in need of support.