Dunk Is camping 'open for business'By Kirsty Nancarrow, Friday December 21, 2012 - 11:20 EDT
Cassowary Coast Mayor Bill Shannon says he is relieved a popular tropical island will reopen to campers for Christmas.
Parts of Dunk Island have been off-limits since it was hit it by Cyclone Yasi in February last year.
Work has been carried out throughout the year to rebuild infrastructure and rehabilitate the island's natural features.
Councillor Shannon says overnight camping will resume tomorrow, with nine sites available.
"I'm very pleased," he said.
"We've been trying for a long while for this to occur, after a long, drawn-out process we got the money and we've had the work done and completed.
"When I say it's completed, the grassing of the area in a couple of areas is still to occur and that will only occur when the turf from the turf farm can be actually picked up.
"If they tried to pick it up now when it's been so dry it will literally fall apart, so there'll be some turf-laying as soon as it rains.
"Up to 50 people I think they can take in nine sites, the nine sites are all set out.
"The facilities are there, tables, chairs, the ablution block, barbecue areas, everything is in place and we've got the work site, which is the construction of the jetty, appropriately barricaded so there's no safety issues there and the whole of the spit is now open for business."
© ABC 2012
More breaking news
Grantham flood inquiry: Three people missing after 2011 deluge in Queensland never found, commission hears
Three people who went missing during the deadly 2011 Grantham flood have never been found, an inquiry in Queensland has heard.
Emergency workers have launched another rescue operation for people stranded in heavy snow, this time for 10 people snowed in at Lake Dobson in Mount Field National Park, about 75 kilometres north-west of Hobart.
Drought concessional loan scheme to be re-opened within days, says Federal Government drought coordinator
A new "drought coordinator" working on the border of Victoria and South Australia, says the next round of drought concessional loans will be opened within days and funding boosts will be announced for a list of service providers.