Dungog clubs receive disaster fund boostFriday January 15, 2016 - 07:38 EDT
Two Dungog clubs have welcomed more than $100,000 in state government funds that will be used to better prepare them for emergencies.
The funding announcement was made yesterday as the area was declared a natural disaster zone following extensive flooding last week.
Dungog Memorial Bowls Club president Spencer Thompson said they will receive money to buy a generator.
"This generator is going to make an enormous difference," he said.
"We do not have a generator and in the case of disasters as we have recently had, we were without power and everything just comes to a stop."
The Dungog RSL Club will receive more than $50,000 to boost its kitchen facilities and buy inflatable mattresses.
The club's manager Ross Lovegrove said the funding will better equip the site for emergencies will provide peace of mind to flood-weary residents.
He said there is still a lot of fear in the community about further flood events.
"I think every time that it rains, they get concerned," he said.
"They had to evacuate last Monday night out of low lying areas which I think upset quite a few people emotionally."
© ABC 2016
More breaking news
Cattle stations in the Kimberley region of Western Australia have had an extremely wet start to 2017.
Thousands of properties are without power in South Australia, with Adelaide being the hardest hit, after a storm front crossed the state last night.
Adelaide is having the wettest summer to date in more than half a century.