Drought package funds couple of months away: BastonThursday April 17, 2014 - 15:03 EST
The State Government is expecting it will be more than two months until funds from a concessional loan package for drought-stricken farmers begin rolling out in Western Australia.
The $320 million Federal Government package is primarily targeted at drought-affected farmers in New South Wales and Queensland.
However, it is expected some eastern Wheatbelt growers will be eligible for the loans.
Agriculture Minister Ken Baston says having the state administer a federally-funded package is a complex process but it is moving as fast as it can.
"You know I wrote to the federal Minister, I've met with the federal Minister on it and he was well aware of the necessity for it to come through as quickly as possible but ... both departments have to sign off on it etc," he said.
Mr Baston says the deal is not finalised yet and it will be another couple of months before the money is available.
"We're waiting for the Federal Government to come back to us but they're well advanced," he said.
"It does take time to process those in the sense that the Federal Government has to set up the guidelines, in that it's their funding into our state. The state will administer it."
© ABC 2014
More breaking news
The damage caused by last week's flood is becoming clearer across the Shoalhaven, as the clean up continues.
Yesterday, much of South Australia was being battered by a low pressure system, sending gusty showers onshore.
A band of thunderstorms swept across NSW and QLD late last night and into this morning, bringing a thundery alarm.