Dredging to remove Bundaberg Port flood debrisBy Frances Adcock, Friday April 12, 2013 - 12:50 EST
A dredging program will start tomorrow to rid the Bundaberg Port in southern Queensland of flood debris.
The port had been closed to all vessels since Australia Day and authorities have been waiting to use a suction dredge from Brisbane.
Manager Jason Pascoe says it is essential the harbour is cleared before the start of the sugar harvest in June.
"We've organised a 21-day dredging program which starts this Saturday and it will dredge continuously 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week, for that period," he said.
"We expect to see a considerable amount of material move and it will allow us to clear the channel and get it open to commercial shipping.
"The dredging that we'll undertake over the 21-day period will allow us to reopen the port to restrictive shipping.
"We are looking at the program moving forward to look at more normal operating depths but we need to get the port open so that some of the sugar that's currently in the sugar facility can be shipped out to make room for next season's crop."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
While authorities assess the potential causes of Wednesday's massive blackout, the kids of South Australia have answers of their own.
Parts of South Australia may be without electricity until the end of the weekend as the power network is repaired and gradually brought back online, ElectraNet has said.
Adelaide "may just get spared the worst of the weather" tonight but destructive winds are forecast to lash Kangaroo Island, Yorke Peninsula and South Australia's mid north.