Council praised for quick tornado clean-upWednesday March 27, 2013 - 08:04 EDT
A local council in north-eastern Victoria has been praised for the quick clean-up of debris following last week's tornado.
Community meetings were held last night at Koonoomoo and Bundalong, two towns hit hard by the storm that had peak winds of 250 kilometres per hour.
People at the Bundalong meeting were told that roads and reserves are now clear and contractors will now start moving onto residential properties.
Colin Charnstron's house was badly damaged and says his views about the Moira Shire council have changed.
"I've told the mayor that I find it amazing and wonderful the way they have operated since this happened," he said.
Bill McNulty lost most of his roof, but says he is amazed how community and all the agencies have worked together.
"I have a lot of hope. (There's) no time for any grievances or that. Just let's get on with it," he said.
Local resident Janine Smith has complained about people walking onto their properties and taking photos of the damage.
She says while it is important for the tourists to return to the area for Easter, the privacy of local residents must be respected.
"I can understand people's curiosity but there's really no need to come down the side streets in the volumes that they have been and getting out and taking the photos," she said.
Local residents have also been warned about strong winds expected tonight and the possibility that loose tree limbs could come down.
Another concern is the asbestos in old buildings that were damaged by the storm.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Grantham flood inquiry: Three people missing after 2011 deluge in Queensland never found, commission hears
Three people who went missing during the deadly 2011 Grantham flood have never been found, an inquiry in Queensland has heard.
Emergency workers have launched another rescue operation for people stranded in heavy snow, this time for 10 people snowed in at Lake Dobson in Mount Field National Park, about 75 kilometres north-west of Hobart.
Drought concessional loan scheme to be re-opened within days, says Federal Government drought coordinator
A new "drought coordinator" working on the border of Victoria and South Australia, says the next round of drought concessional loans will be opened within days and funding boosts will be announced for a list of service providers.