Council gets $1.9m to lift flood-prone homesTuesday January 15, 2013 - 13:51 EDT
The Balonne Mayor says council is still working out which homes in St George will need to be raised to avoid future floods.
The council has received $1.9 million in state funds to lift homes in addition to $3.1 million to build a levee in St George.
Donna Stewart says work will begin as soon as possible.
"We have to have the money all spent within the two years but we are hoping that it will certainly be completed within 12 months - that's the lifting of the houses," she said.
"As soon as [we] get the confirmed alignment for the levee bank, we'll be starting on that straight away, so as soon as possible.
"As soon as we get that information back we'll be getting that constructed.
"The houses that will be lifted are in the residential and rural residential categories of the St George township.
"We're still having the calibration done on the final alignment of the proposed levee banks and so until we get that final alignment we're not really quite sure what houses will be outside or inside the levee."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Overall, this last week has been the driest spell since about mid-December in NSW.
Records tumbled at the Roma saleyards, where strong demand saw a record price of $1,880 paid for a cow and calf unit.
Perth has recorded above 40 degree Celsius temperatures for three days in a row, melting a February record which has stood for more than 50 years.