Commonwealth asked to reconsider flood mitigation helpThursday January 10, 2013 - 08:41 EDT
The Queensland Government has asked the Commonwealth to reconsider its refusal to support the state's flood mitigation scheme.
Today marks the second anniversary of devastating floods in south east Queensland which claimed 20 lives in the Lockyer Valley and Toowoomba.
The State Government wanted the Federal Government to pay $40 million of a $100 million floodplain security scheme it proposed last year.
The Commonwealth refused, saying it had already committed $9 billion to flood recovery efforts.
Acting Premier Jeff Seeney says today's anniversary is a good opportunity to assess various funding pledges.
"It's a good time for the community there to ask where the money is." Mr Seeney said.
"What happened to the money the former premier [Anna Bligh] committed to flood mitigation in Toowoomba?
"What happened to the money the former premier committed to flood mitigation in Roma and Charleville?
"It was supposed to be money from the Federal Government that never eventuated."
Mr Seeney says the State Government's been forced to scale back flood mitigation projects because the Commonwealth will not commit funding.
"We've had to cut back considerably on the amount of flood mitigation projects we've been able to approve," Mr Seeney said.
"We have approved some projects in Roma and Emerald but those projects are only a part of what should have been able to be done."
A spokesman for the Federal Emergency Services Minister Nicola Roxon says the scheme is an unfunded Liberal National Party election promise.
He says the Commonwealth is already giving Queensland $26 million a year in disaster resilience funding.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Top End residents are unlikely to be relieved of the oppressive hot and humid build up conditions until Christmas, because the rain-bringing La Niña weather pattern is unlikely to eventuate in coming months, the Bureau of Meteorology has warned.
An international tourist has died and a woman has been injured after being hit by lightning while camping at Mt Warning, on the NSW north coast, police say.
The opening week of summer has been a hot and thundery mix in New South Wales and there is more to come.