Cold water poured on floodwater trench ideaTuesday March 5, 2013 - 12:41 EDT
The Greater Shepparton Council says Benalla Road property owners still flood bound after last week's downpour have no choice but to wait for the water to drain away.
Up to 160 millimetres of rain was dumped on Shepparton last Wednesday, isolating hundreds of houses in the city's north and inundating four houses in the east.
The council says a suggestion from one of the car dealers in Benalla Road to dig some trenches to get rid of floodwater still lying around nearly a week later is not feasible.
The infrastructure manager, Steve Bowmaker, says residents rejected a $4 million drainage scheme several years ago which would have alleviated the problem.
He says his team is looking at rejigging the proposal to make it less expensive.
"With a view to putting it to our council and if council is amenable we would look at whether or not it makes sense to go back to the landholders in that area to see whether a scheme like this might be attractive to them," he said.
However, Benalla Road car dealer Jarrod Thompson says he does not accept the assessment that digging trenches to help the floodwater dissipate is unviable.
Mr Thompson says his share of the bill for the drainage scheme proposed by the council several years ago would have been $130,000.
He says the entrance to his business is still under water.
"I'm obviously very, very frustrated ... with employing about 80 people and they can't really get in to park their cars in the car park here at the dealership to come to work," he said.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Flood warnings are in place to the north and south of Adelaide, including in SA's premier wine districts, while thousands remain without power after strong winds lashed the state overnight.
A low pressure trough that brought damaging weather to South Australia will continue to move south across Tasmania today, bringing heavy rain and strong winds, the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) says.
Embryos being prepared for transfer at a fertility clinic had to be destroyed due to a generator failure at Flinders Medical Centre during the South Australian blackout, the Health Minister says.