Clarence flood recovery centre opensMonday February 4, 2013 - 13:11 EDT
The state government has appointed a flood recovery expert to run a new help centre that's opened its doors in Grafton today.
The Clarence Valley suffered significant damage to public infrastructure, private property and farmland in last week's flood.
Over the past four years Ross O'Shea has helped with four recovery efforts for inland New South Wales.
He said an assessment is still continuing of the extent of the local flood damage.
"But the focus areas need to be the impact on people to ensure that all of the welfare aspects of that are understood and responded to," he said.
" We need to understand what the impact on the broad scope of the economic activity in the region is.
"That could be in the agricultural areas but it can be for instance in the tourism area."
The deputy Premier and mid north coast MP Andrew Stoner was in Grafton today to meet flood victims
Mr Stoner said the recovery centre will bring together a range of government agencies to provide advice and assistance for those affected.
He said many people suffered significant losses and they'll need help.
"As the waters recede we can see washed out roads we can see bridges gone, damage to other infrastructure and private property," he said.
"Until all of those assessments are in it's just too difficult to estimate.
"But I think we're talking easily in the tens of millions of dollars if not more."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Grantham flood inquiry: Three people missing after 2011 deluge in Queensland never found, commission hears
Three people who went missing during the deadly 2011 Grantham flood have never been found, an inquiry in Queensland has heard.
Emergency workers have launched another rescue operation for people stranded in heavy snow, this time for 10 people snowed in at Lake Dobson in Mount Field National Park, about 75 kilometres north-west of Hobart.
Drought concessional loan scheme to be re-opened within days, says Federal Government drought coordinator
A new "drought coordinator" working on the border of Victoria and South Australia, says the next round of drought concessional loans will be opened within days and funding boosts will be announced for a list of service providers.