Charleville flood protection nearly completeBy Chrissy Arthur, Tuesday February 5, 2013 - 14:53 EDT
A south-west Queensland Mayor says a $14 million flood diversion project in Charleville has helped restore confidence among business owners and residents.
It is a year today since Charleville's most recent flood episode, when hundreds of people were evacuated to the local showgrounds after authorities feared a levee on the Warrego River would fail.
Murweh Mayor Denis Cook says the levee held on that occasion but it was a nervous time.
He says the diversion of Bradley's Gully is almost complete and that will offer new flood protection.
"We had one of the pubs which has been shut since the last floods, it was sold and it's going to be reopened," he said.
"You've got some new little businesses opening up.
"I think the town is starting to pick up. I think the town is starting to move on a bit and I think people are really confident it's going to work.
"If we charged a dollar every time people went to have a look at it, we'd make a lot of money."
He says residents are relieved the flood diversion is almost complete.
"All the earthworks will be completed by next week," he said.
"It is a massive movement of earth.
"Then the bridge people - two bridge crews will come and put this $3.8 million bridge over it [the diversion channel].
"It will work now. If we have an event like the other day in Bundaberg or in those places, it's actually there to work."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Parts of Victoria have already received almost double the average rainfall this month, and some areas have recorded the wettest April in 16 years.
New Zealanders are bracing for a week of wild weather.
The skies above New South Wales farms have been filled with smoke in recent weeks as growers burn a huge load of dry stubble left over from last year's record crop yields.