Central Qld flood repair bill tops $500m so farBy Alice Roberts, Wednesday January 23, 2013 - 12:47 EDT
The Department of Main Roads says more than $500 million in flood works has been completed so far in central Queensland.
Regional director Terry Hill says crews are back at work and hope to have the Yeppen bridge completed by August this year.
He says the total flood reconstruction bill for central Queensland will reach $900 million by Christmas.
"There's 42 reconstruction sites across central Queensland that are operational at this stage," he said.
"On the Bruce Highway there's 22 work sites and there's about 700 people working between Miriam Vale and up to St Lawrence, just in this section in central Queensland, to reconstruct the damage that was caused in those flood events."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
The start of spring has been unusually dry across most of New South Wales.
Towns in Queensland's south-east are being hit by storms as a front moves slowly towards Brisbane, but a severe storm warning has been cancelled.
The Queensland Rural Fire Service says fires on parts of the state's coast will burn hotter and faster this season due to the ongoing dry.