Carnarvon flood levees revealedFriday June 13, 2014 - 13:52 EST
Three and a half years after Carnarvon was devastated by record floods, a series of new levees will be unveiled in the town today.
The 16 kilometres of banks have been constructed to help mitigate the impact of future flooding on the horticultural district.
Homes, businesses and crops in the Gascoyne town sustained about $90 million worth of damage in the floods.
Since then, $60 million of Government funding has been spent on building new levees.
Despite some local concern about the layout of the levees, Regional Development Minister Terry Redman says he is confident the design will deliver the best outcome for the district.
"These levee banks are substantial, in some cases they are four to five metres high, they are designed to deflect the water, they are not designed to be a dam, they are designed to deflect the water and slow it down or redirect it in areas where it can have less impact than it would otherwise do," he said.
"It's designed to take the heat out of the substantial flow of water, it's not designed to protect everything.
"Water still floods, water still goes in and water still goes out and I think what we have done is a fantastic step towards giving protection to the horticultural areas in Carnarvon."
Meanwhile, community members are invited to celebrate the 'official opening' tomorrow of Gascoyne Junction's new tourism precinct.
The precinct includes a new pub and accommodation.
The old pub was washed away in the December 2010 floods.
© ABC 2014
More breaking news
On the outskirts of Proserpine, the traffic is banking up.
The clean up from Cyclone Debbie will take weeks, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says.
#subtitle Zoom out 35,000 kilometres, and you can see why Cyclone Debbie continues to wreak havoc on the people of Queensland.