Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Bundaberg man jailed for flood appeal fraud

By Frances Adcock, Wednesday May 22, 2013 - 17:17 EST

A 40-year-old man has been sentenced to a year in prison for fraudulently claiming money from the Queensland Flood Appeal.

The Bundaberg Magistrates Court heard Arthur Dynevor used a flood-affected resident's address in North Bundaberg to claim $4,000 from the appeal.

Police arrested him in March after discovering only one resident lived at the stated address, not four.

Dynevor pleaded guilty to the fraud charge, and admitted using the money to gamble and buy alcohol.

In sentencing, the magistrate said Dynevor had taken money away from devastated residents who had lost everything.

He will be eligible for parole in two months.


- ABC

© ABC 2013

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Cyclone Debbie downgraded to category two system; Collinsville residents told to brace for storm

22:45 EDT

The full devastation brought on by Tropical Cyclone Debbie will not be known until the morning, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has warned, as the system is further downgraded to a category two.

Cyclone Debbie downgraded to category two but threat remains, Premier says

22:39 EDT

Cyclone Debbie has been downgraded to a category two system after crossing the north Queensland coast.

Cyclone Debbie's eye reaches coast; BOM downgrades system to category three

20:34 EDT

Tropical Cyclone Debbie has been downgraded to a category three system, having made landfall along the north Queensland coastline near Airlie Beach earlier this afternoon as a slow-moving category four system.