Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Bopha aftermath: nearly 300 still missing

By Shirley Escalante, Manila, Wednesday January 23, 2013 - 19:29 EDT

The Philippines Disaster Management Chief says almost 300 fishermen missing since Typhoon Bopha struck the south-eastern region in December have not yet been found, correcting information which said the fishermen have been rescued and are recovering in hospital. 

Benito Ramos, who heads the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, says there was a mix-up in the agency's casualty figures, due mainly to the surge of unverified information, and stress impinging on the agency's staff. 

Mr Ramos has taken responsibility for the misinformation.

He says the agency has corrected its figures, putting the number of those missing from Bopha's onslaught at 841, including missing fishermen from the Philippines tuna capital, General Santos City.

More than a thousand others have been confirmed killed.

Among the missing fishermen from General Santos City is Carlos Padilla, whose 19-year-old daughter, Charlene, contacted Radio Australia, in an effort to get information on her father.

The fishermen set out to sea aboard 47 boats days before Bopha struck and have failed to return home.

The Philippines Navy and Coast Guard conducted search and rescue operations for the missing fishermen for more than a month.


- ABC

© ABC 2013

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Skyrocketing beanies caused by winter

15:00 EST

We're now past the shortest day of the year and well into winter, so just how wintry is it in southeastern Australia? A weak cold front has just clipped Victoria and southeastern New South Wales, bringing with it frequent showers and fresh winds.

Either humid or calm - tricky month for drying clothes

12:39 EST

So far this winter much of southeastern Australian has either been too humid or too calm for the washing to dry as fast as it would normally at this time of year.

SA Power Networks paid $18.5m in compensation for December blackout

08:39 EST

A new report shows SA Power Networks paid more than $18.5 million to households that lost power in The figure was included in two reports released by the Essential Services Commission of SA (ESCOSA) into the December storm, and the .