Army wraps up Bundaberg flood workBy Eric Tlozek, Friday February 8, 2013 - 09:39 EDT
The Army will farewell Bundaberg with a parade down the city's main street this morning.
Most of the emergency support force that has been working in the town will leave today.
There more than 260 soldiers in the city at the peak of the flood recovery work.
Army engineers have built a temporary crossing at the damaged Tallon Bridge, which has opened to southbound traffic.
Soldiers have also been clearing roads and helping to clean houses, and were involved in the initial evacuation.
The force's commander, Major Patrick O'Neill, says the soldiers believe Bundaberg residents will recover well from the disaster.
"They're tough people here in Bundaberg and there are a lot of people here doing amazing work, so hopefully the recovery efforts and the rebuild can happen quickly and people can get back to normal life," he said.
Major O'Neill says it was a large and important deployment.
"There were about 265 people, we had about 65 vehicles which included a number of armoured vehicles carrying people around to get some of those more remote areas," he said.
"We had some small plant equipment that was opening up the roads with the council and the main roads, so it's been quite a small army."
The Army will drive in convoy down Bourbong Street this morning to farewell residents.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
The Queensland Government will have the final say in assessing a major flood mitigation levee for Roma in the state's southern inland.
Residents in Tennant Creek say last weekend's rainfall was not recorded by the system that controversially replaced the local weather radar last year.
A deep low pressure system located over the Tasman Sea has whipped up wild winds and large waves in the past 24 hours, with maximum wave heights peaking at eight metres off the coast from Sydney.