$8m extra to flood-proof new Mitchell bridgeFriday January 18, 2013 - 11:37 EDT
The state and federal governments will spend an additional $8 million on Mitchell's new bridge in Queensland's southern inland.
The existing bridge over the Maranoa River was severely damaged in last year's record flood and work is already underway on its replacement.
The federal member for Maranoa, Bruce Scott, says the extra money will be used to make the bridge higher and longer.
"Which will put it above the 2012 flood level and importantly it will be wider than the old bridge, meaning type-two road trains will be able to now, once the roadway is ... upgraded east of Mitchell, bring type-two road trains all the way through to Roma," he said.
"It is important that the new bridge is going to be well above previous, last year's flood event because it is the main access route through there right through to Darwin.
"It's a major point and if it goes out as it did last year during the floods, it's caused enormous dislocation to traffic, as well as the general public."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
The full devastation brought on by Tropical Cyclone Debbie will not be known until Wednesday morning, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has warned, as the system is further downgraded to a category two.
Panicked residents in areas affected by Cyclone Debbie have relayed their experiences to the ABC as torrential rain and wind gusts pummel the region.
Cyclone Debbie has been downgraded to a category two system after crossing the north Queensland coast.