$80m disaster fund for Qld 'not enough'By Alyse Edwards, Thursday March 14, 2013 - 08:57 EDT
The Local Government Association of Queensland (LGAQ) says an $80 million disaster fund is not enough to improve state infrastructure.
The Federal and Queensland governments have announced $40 million each to help communities rebuild after recent floods.
LGAQ president Margaret de Wit says $200 million is needed to do the job properly.
"The demands out there, the needs of communities are just so great, that the 80 million will help in some ways, but it's not going to be able to solve the problem entirely for us," she said.
"It really is up to the Government to work with local councils and determine what is the fairest way to distribute this money.
"It really is not enough from the Federal Government - there needs to be at least $200 million coming from the Federal Government to try to achieve what we need with betterment after the floods.
"If you say the State Government has put in $40 million, we really need more money to try and really meet the needs of Queensland."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Bedgerabong in the central west of New South Wales has been isolated by flood waters.
Farmers across Western Australia's grain growing regions have been dealt a bitter blow, with their hopes of record crops dashed by frost just weeks before harvest.
Wet weather "on par" with a system that caused widespread flooding across Adelaide earlier this month has been forecast to hit the Mount Lofty Ranges on Wednesday and Thursday.