Marine Weather Warnings - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Victoria Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for DAMAGING WIND
For people in parts of the
South West Forecast District.
Issued at 5:58 pm Thursday, 30 June 2016.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area
over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include
Warrnambool, Portland, Nelson and Casterton.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* Stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* If you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* Listen to the radio for storm updates
* Switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 9:00 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217. The Bureau and State Emergency
Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
For people living in outback Queensland, the impact of the ongoing drought can be seen everywhere.
The Bega Valley Shire Council is caught in a perfect storm of insurers and governments avoiding claims to repair storm damage to a heritage wharf.
Beach shack owners in South Australia say urgent action is needed, after storm erosion has put their properties at risk of falling into the sea.